Sunday, March 9, 2014

An Extraordinary Ordinary Life

Ok, so I sort of failed on the whole 7 posts in 7 days - and it's been *shudder* a week since I last blogged. Like so many things I do (read ALL THINGS I DO) I probably meet my desired outcome by 75%. Ok so maybe not ALL things. But ALL things other than my family and my job. Everything else, guys, I make no promises.

I saw a blog post gone viral recently about a working mom and her plights. And it was really really sad. A better blogger would link to it, but I have no idea where it was, but I saw a lot of my awesome working mom friends linking up to it. Relating to it. And I totally did as well. Getting home tired, having to cook dinner, bath children, read books, brush teeth, when all you want to do is crash on the couch. I get it. Totally.

And for several reasons - my husband, my kids' ages and my experience level at my job, and the fact that I truly DO enjoy my job and my kids - I can't completely relate.

We watched a movie this weekend called About Time. And it blew both my husband and I away. If you haven't seen it - do it - ASAP. My husband brought it home Friday night and if you know anything about me on Friday night, it's that I am NOT going to last long. And there is a very good chance I'll be asleep before 9. So movies....Zzzzzzz...especially movies involving TIME TRAVEL. I'm not a sci fi person. My husband was worried about the chick flick aspect. But I promise you, GOOD.

The movie is about a guy who can travel back in his own life and change things. It involves him meeting and falling in love with his wife, while showing a truly beautiful relationship with his sister and parents. Toward the end, he begins to live one day and go back and relive it again - not to change anything (like he does throughout the movie) but to just enjoy the little things. To love the present moment and savor the joys and sorrows. "An extraordinary ordinary life" is what he says at the end.

And isn't that basically what we all have. I have an ordinary life, but I need to appreciate the little things - my laughs with my students, the quiet drive to work after I drop the boys at school, a dinner my husband prepares, a quiet Saturday morning when my first-grader plays nicely an hour with his toddler brother -  the boring things to make it extraordinary. If I don't appreciate those boring little things, pay attention to them, thank God for them, I'll have nothing extraordinary at the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment