Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Sibling Rivalries

So far the whole 7 posts in 7 days thing should be titled 7 lame posts in 7 days for me. Dang. Let’s do it right, shall we?
Ok, so I have 2 kids - 6 and 2. I was sort of relieved that when #2 was born, that the old brother was fairly self sufficient. As far as bathroom stuff, playing, walking, eating, etc. But I do remember being like - But are they so far apart in age that they won’t play together…

And in my more melodramatic/hormonal times - Are they so far apart in age they won’t LOVE each other - wahhhhh!

Cue the crying…

Side note: I’m totally eating chocolate chips from a plastic cup right now. PMS anyone?

Anyway, it was obvious once #2 was born that it was going to be a total blast seeing his big brother fawn over him. And even better, watching the little guy watch his brother and seek his attention and humor.

And eventually I found myself saying stuff that sounded strangely familiar: Oh my goodness, look how he’s watching you play with that car? He wants to be just like you!

Familiar because I’m the oldest and I heard that stuff a lot. I mean a LOT. Also because I have 4 younger sisters. So I heard it said to many of them too. But I don’t ever remember GRASPING it. But wow, it’s so freaking cool!

So we have existed like that for a couple years. Boys getting along so well. Wow, look how great we are says husband and I - look how awesome these boys that are 4 years apart. Me and baby would go pick up brother at school and we’d wait for him to arrive at the pick up door and baby would FREAK OUT with happiness. Completely freak out! Brother would run to him, give him a hug. Strangers would stare and I’d beam. Damn, this is good.

About a month ago, some of that stopped. Fun together playtime started becoming, little punk ass instigator jerk is screwing up my tower of blocks. So I’ll just go play on the computer. And then the little punk will push the button and turn it off. We’ll all yell and fight and it’s just not the same!

So seasons change and here they certainly are. Not surprising. I’ve been the big sibling. I know that little guy can demanding and irritating and drive everyone bonkers. Also, my big guy is 6. Closing in on 7. He has lots of big boy interests and little squirt isn’t going to cut it forever.

So at night when I should put the little squirt to bed and they’re playing and laughing and being silly. I’ll let them go a little while longer. These times are precious.

No comments:

Post a Comment